EXPLANATION OF AMOEBA FEEDING IMAGE:
Illustration showing the fresh water protist (protozoan) Amoeba proteus feeding on a small ciliate. Starting at upper left:
- 1. Amoeba extends pseudopodia in vicinity of food.
- 2. Pseudopodia surround prey.
- 3. Prey is now completely engulfed in a Food Vacuole.
- 4. Food vacuole moves towards the rear end (uroid) of the amoeba.
- 5. Water is extracted from the Food Vacuole and digestive enzymes are added.
- 6. Finally, the undigested material is ejected at the cell surface.
Image (Artwork) of Amoeba proteus feeding. This image is 800 pixels across, the original image is 4200 x 2534 pixels.
AMOEBA - classification
(taxonomy) from ITIS
all protist images / PROTISTA / PROTOCTISTA / PROTOZOA PICTURES: / Protozoan / Phylum Rhizopoda (Amoebas or Amebas) / Set of images of Amoeba engulfing prey (phagocytosis)